Despite claiming to support high-quality training, the Conservatives have ruthlessly cut funding for FE colleges (our main provider of adult & vocational education) & reduced entitlements for adult learners leading to fewer courses, students & a sector in crisis.
Key manifesto promises
- When the 1945 Labour government established the NHS, it created one of the central institutions of fairness of the 20th century. The National Education Service will do the same for this, giving people confidence & hope by making education a right, not a privilege.
- Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.
- Labour will ensure that all schools are democratically accountable.
More manifesto promises:
- Labour will guarantee trade union representation in the governance structures of the Institute of Apprenticeships.
- Labour would introduce free, lifelong education in Further Education (FE) colleges, enabling everyone to upskill or retrain at any point in life.