Nationally, housing is now Labour’s top priority. Here’s more on the local picture in Scarborough and Whitby.
Labour’s local action plan for Housing:
* Key to solving the housing crisis is creating more social housing.
* Private lets need rent controls, minimum standards and secure tenancies – savings on current high levels of housing benefits collected by landlords would go to support good social housing.
* Holiday lets will pay a fair share of local taxes.
* ‘Affordable’ housing has to really mean affordable, and link to local earnings.
* Need, not private profit, must drive housing policy.
* Understanding the local context is really important – a local housing plan would focus on strengthening communities of year-round residents, and helping young people into good quality housing.