Unveiling our new investigation into local farming and fishing.
* Labour recognises and values the contribution that agriculture and fishing make to the local economy, and also to the wider community, and will act to defend and support these industries.
* Farmers and fishermen will be at the centre of a green transformation focused on producing and marketing good local food in a sustainable way…
* … and on developing their role as stewards and protectors of the natural environment.
* Initiatives such as co-operatives to market local produce could bring the producers closer to local buyers, and to each other.
* For small business owners, in fishing, farming and other complementary ventures, there will be benefits from Labour’s policies boosting coastal and rural communities with better infrastructure and communications.
* Local fishermen and farmers must be listened to, and their knowledge and experience has to guide and inform policy-making.
Go to Key Issues for the full report.